Monday, January 27, 2014

First Week/Tour of Plassey

     It has been an interesting first week in Limerick, Ireland!  I've already gone through two umbrellas- The weather here is quite unpredictable (although favorable compared to the "Polar Vortex" occurring back home). It drizzles on and off throughout the day.  The rain doesn't seem to phase the Irish at all, however. In fact, I've noticed many of them don't carry umbrellas or even wear rain boots.
     Ireland truly is an Emerald Isle and is exactly what one would imagine it to be.  It was remarkable flying into Shannon airport and seeing the countryside from an aerial perspective.  I think my mother would die to have a yard full of grass as green and lush as Ireland.
     Grocery shopping for the first few times actually proved to be quite the adventure.  One should know that plastic bags are NOT provided upon checkout.  Customers are expected to purchase a re-usable bag or bring their own.  While at times this may perhaps seem inconvenient, I like their eco-friendly approach.  Depending on the store, you may also have to pay to use the grocery carts.  I'm sure the locals can easily spot the foreigners carrying arms full of groceries around the store.  Products in Europe also contain a lot less preservatives than in the United States.  This means they expire faster, so people generally don't buy as many things at once.    
    Perhaps one of the most amusing things thus far has been learning Irish words as well as Irish "slang." I will share with you a few of the terms I have learned:

-The word "Craic" (pronounced "crack") is often used in place of the word "fun".  For instance, an Irish student said to me the other day, "Rugby is good craic." I was taken aback momentarily.

-Many of you I am sure know this next one. The Irish refer to their french fries as "chips," and call potato chips "crisps." I had forgotten about this the first time I had a meal here!

-The next word, "muppet," I haven't really heard used as much.  It often refers to an ignoramus or foolish person. If you are ever called a muppet, I would certainly not take that as a compliment.

-Everything in Ireland truly is "grand." I have heard this used countless times in conversation the past week.  In this aspect it really is like the movies. I smile each time I hear it.

I have posted below a video I filmed of where I am living during my stay! There are five villages on campus that students may choose to live in.  The houses in the villages are essentially like apartments, or town houses with anywhere from 4 to 8 people (of either gender).  Each student gets his or her own bedroom, and shares the kitchen and living room area. If you have any questions please feel free to comment!