Thursday, February 13, 2014

Day Trip: Cork City & Blarney Castle






Farmer's Market

Last Saturday I ventured over to the beautiful city of Cork as well as Blarney Castle (little over an hour drive from Limerick). This was an event planned through the international student society I am a part of here at the University of Limerick. I highly recommend this club for anyone studying abroad here in the future, as they have many fun trips & events taking place each weekend.
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED CORK. 
We were given about 4 hours to roam the city and do as we please; although the weather was slightly chilly and rainy, my friends and I enjoyed perusing through all of the cute little shops.  My favorite part was undoubtedly the farmers market, however. There are few things in life that excite and delight me more than homemade food.  Fresh bread, cheeses, organic fruits and vegetables, homemade sweets and any type of meat you could desire, all in one convenient little market. I discovered that I am quite a big fan of the homemade Irish soda bread. While in Cork we also visited the St. Fin Barre's Cathedral, and had chicken & pesto crepes by the river. It was quite the enjoyable afternoon.  
Blarney Castle is another "must see." Atop the medieval castle lies the famous Blarney Stone. It is believed that if one kisses it, they will be blessed with gift of gab and have eloquent speech!  I've posted these pictures below, as well as some pretty pictures from the lovely gardens surrounding the castle:)

Everything is just green, green, green!


Kissing the Blarney Stone, must be done upside down!